In the South, nearly everyone has a good recipe for chicken salad. It's probably one of the most popular snacks and sandwiches served at wedding and baby showers, after-church gatherings, lunches, and picnics. They're filling, creamy, tangy, and have a hint of sweetness that tastes delectable when piled on top of a buttery croissant!
Why We Love Chicken Salads
There's hardly anything easier than chicken salad when you have a large crowd to feed, or just feel like making a nice picnic sandwich. You can also use this chicken salad recipe as a dip for crackers, as a wrap, or served open-face on bibb lettuce.
Chicken is also well-known for its protein content, so you can bet on these sandwiches keeping you nice and full. You'll also enjoy getting some antioxidants from the grapes and crushed pecans!
How Long Can You Store Chicken Salad?
This recipe is definitely perishable, so it should not be left out at room temperature for more than two hours. This is helpful to know if you are having a party with sandwich trays. It would be smart to only keep out a few sandwiches at a time, refreshing with prepared sandwiches that are in the refrigerator on standby.
If stored in an air-tight container in the fridge, this recipe should last up to three days.
Sweet, Tangy Chicken Salad Recipe
- 4 cups of cooked chicken breasts, boiled with a little salt
- 1 cup of seedless red grapes, halved
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. sweet relish
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup of mayonnaise, or more, to preference (see note below)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon or honey mustard (optional)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large pot, bring water to a rolling boil. Add chicken and cook thoroughly, 12-15 minutes.
- Drain, rinse, cool, and hand-shred or chop chicken (your preference).
- In a large bowl, add chicken and all other ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Serve on sandwich bread, croissant roll, as a dip with crackers, as a wrap, or on bibb lettuce.
- For a tangier taste, use Miracle Whip or plain Greek Yogurt instead of mayonnaise.
- You can use green grapes, but know you will get a sweeter taste.