Are you longing to relax within a fragrant forest of trees?
Even if you can’t escape at the moment, tsuga essential oil can bring the essence right to your home.
Also known as hemlock oil, and not to be confused with the poisonous plant, tsuga oil gives off an aroma of fresh pine needles.
When you’re looking for an earthy atmosphere for your home, it makes an excellent substitute for a walk in the woods.
Ready to learn more about this crisp and fragrant oil? Read on to learn more about tsuga essential oil and its uses.
What is Tsuga Essential Oil?
Though it bears the same name, it is different from the well-known poisonous hemlock plant, or conium maculatum. Unlike poisonous hemlock, Canadian hemlock is completely non-toxic and safe to use.
Botanical Properties of Canada Hemlock Tree Oil
Tsuga essential oil comes from the steam distilling of the twigs and needles of the Canada hemlock tree. It has a lovely and fragrant pine aroma with an earthy character.
History of Tsuga Oil
Canada hemlock tree oil has a long history of use as an herbal medicine. Native Americans used it to treat certain ailments and it was also an ingredient in Chinese herbal medicine as well.
Oil of Hemlock Tree Uses and Benefits
Besides its fresh, woodsy scent, tsuga oil offers a number of other benefits. Here are a few of its top uses:
- Can potentially treat certain skin ailments
- Refreshing scent helps ease stress
- Soothing rub can ease sore muscles
Tsuga oil’s piney scent is a perfect pick-me-up when you’re feeling stressed or worn out from the day. In addition to the above uses, you can also apply it topically with a carrier oil any time you’re in need of a refreshing boost.
How to Use Tsuga Essential Oil
Tsuga essential oil is great for diffusing when you’re craving a crisp, piney scent in your home. It mixes well with other woodsy fragrances, so you can try different combinations to find your perfect scent.
Here are a few other great ways to use tsuga oil:
- Mix with massage oil or other carrier oil to use as a soothing rub for sore muscles
- Add a few drops to cleaning products for a fresh, crisp fragrance boost
- Add a couple of drops to your bath or shower for an invigorating scent experience
- Apply a drop or two mixed with lotion or carrier oil and breathe in deeply to feel refreshed
- Mix a couple of drops with a carrier oil and apply to the chest to help clear respiratory pathways
With its aromatic and fresh scent, tsuga essential oil can bring the essence of the forest wherever you need it.
Warnings and Precautions
As with any essential oil, it's important to use tsuga oil with care. Here are a few precautions to take before applying or diffusing this oil.
- Keep oil out of eyes and mucous membranes.
- Perform a skin allergy patch test prior to topical application.
- Apply with a carrier oil to avoid skin irritation.
- Consult a doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or receiving medical treatment.
Though this oil is non-toxic and safe to use, keep it out of the reach of small children in your home.
Tsuga Essential Oil Recipes
There are many ways to enjoy the fresh scent of tsuga oil. Below are a couple of ideas for incorporating it into your home and lifestyle.
“Breathe Easy” Chest Rub
The refreshing scent of tsuga oil can help clear your airways. This blend also features lavender and chamomile to promote relaxation.
- 2 drops tsuga oil
- 1 drop lavender oil
- 1 drop chamomile oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or carrier oil of your choosing
Mix the oils with your carrier oil. Apply liberally to the chest as needed.
“A Walk in the Woods” Diffuser Blend
Recreate the feeling of being in a forest, right in your home.
- 2 drops tsuga oil
- 1 drop cypress oil
- 1 drop cedarwood oil
- Carrier oil of your choice (optional)
Add the oils, and carrier oil where applicable, directly to your oil diffuser. Enjoy whenever you need a natural boost.
Find Your Forest
Even if you can’t step away for a nice hike in the woods, tsuga essential oil can recreate the woodsy aroma wherever you need it. Now that you’ve got a better idea of how to use this refreshing oil, find your home forest today!
Shop our entire collection of essential oils to create your perfect blend.