This roasted chicken is a huge favorite of all the members of the family. From the way it makes the whole house smell like fresh rosemary and thyme to the crispy golden brown skin on top to the creamy roasted garlic cloves underneath - it delivers to all your senses! I love to serve it with a big green salad and sauteed broccoli. And it’s extra perfect when the herbs are homegrown and fresh-snipped from my patio herb garden!
When all 6 of my kids were at home I used to make this recipe with 2 whole chickens and an extra package of drumsticks. I could barely lift the pot into the oven! Now with some of the kids peeling off, I have downsized my pot and usually make one whole chicken plus 6 extra drumsticks. You can easily adjust this recipe for the amount of chicken you want to make; my version here will serve 6.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is the leftover chicken carcass. I stuff it in a pot with veggies, spices and water and simmer for 24 hours to make a delicious and healthy bone broth full of minerals and goodness. I then use the homemade broth to make our most beloved homemade soups. So don’t throw the carcass away until you’re certain you’ve gotten everything you can out of it!
The chicken will cook for about 3 hours so you do need to plan ahead and put it in early enough, but the prep time is minimal: about 10 minutes to get it into the oven. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Herb-Stuffed Roast Chicken
- 1 young, whole organic chicken
- 6-8 organic drumsticks
- 3 yellow onions (cut in half, remove outer skins)
- 3-4 bulbs fresh garilc (cut in half, remove loose outer skin)
- Sprigs fresh rosemary and thyme
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place onions and garlic heads in a roasting pan or dutch oven flat side down.
- Set the chicken on top of the onions and garlic (breast side up) and arrange the drumsticks around.
- Stuff the herbs into the body cavity of the chicken.
- Pour the melted butter over the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Put it into the oven and roast uncovered for about 3 hours. The skin will get crispy and browned.
- Enjoy! My kids fight over the crispy, browned skin. And don’t forget to eat the veggies on the bottom, especially the roasted garlic.
Leave a comment
Fill out the form below to be connected with a service provider in your area. You may also call 888-888-8888 for assistance.