The start of a new year is the perfect time to refresh and renew your home, and what better way to do that than with the natural power of essential oils?
Many conventional household cleaning products contain toxic chemicals that can have detrimental effects on our health. From respiratory issues to compromised immune systems and even fertility problems, it’s important to be aware of the toxic chemicals to avoid in store-bought cleaners.
Instead of relying on store-bought cleaners, essential oils are your secret weapon for natural living, so why not consider making your own household cleaners using essential oils?
These natural oils not only provide a pleasant aroma but also have powerful antibacterial and antiviral properties that can help keep your home clean and healthy. Making your own cleaners with essential oils can also help you avoid artificial scents which can be harmful to your family's health.
Here are some of our favorite ways to clean with essential oils for the New Year:
- New Year's Cleaning Spray: Mix 1 cup of water, 1 cup of white vinegar, and 25 drops of lemon essential oil in a spray bottle. Shake well and use as an all-around cleaner for surfaces such as countertops, tables, and even floors. The sweet citrus scent of lemon will give your home a fresh, clean smell, and the white vinegar will help disinfect and kill germs.
- Clean and Sanitize Your Kitchen: Mix 1 cup of white vinegar, 1 cup of water, and 20-30 drops of tea tree essential oil in a spray bottle. Shake well and use to clean and sanitize your kitchen surfaces. Tea tree oil is known for its powerful antiseptic properties, making it ideal for cleaning and disinfecting the kitchen.
- Refresh Carpets and Rugs: Mix 1 cup of baking soda and 10-15 drops of peppermint essential oil in a small container. Sprinkle the mixture on any carpets and let it sit for 15-20 minutes before vacuuming. The peppermint will give your carpets a refreshing, invigorating smell, and the baking soda will help remove dirt and stains.
- Freshen up Your Linens: Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to your laundry detergent or add a few drops to a cloth and toss it in the dryer with your clothes. The soothing scent of lavender will help you relax and create a peaceful atmosphere in your home. It also does a fantastic job of keeping mold and mildew away.
- Shine Your Bathroom: In a spray bottle, combine 1 cup of water, 1 cup of white vinegar, and 25 drops of grapefruit essential oil. Shake well and use as a shower spray to combat soap scum, while its natural antimicrobial properties get rid of germs and bacteria, leaving your bathroom smelling clean and fresh.
There are many ways to use essential oils in your cleaning routine, from creating your own cleaning solutions to using them in a diffuser to freshen the air. The options are endless and it's a great way to start the new year with a fresh and clean environment.
Want to know everything going on in natural health and beauty? Sign up for BVU's newsletter. You can also follow along on Instagram and Facebook.